Robotic surgery is surgery performed with the aid of robotics. It is conquering the surgery field by storm. It has found solid applications in general surgery, vascular surgery, cardiothoracic surgery, and especially in urology.
The emergence and progressive changes in robotic and computer-guided systems have significantly improved operating practices across different medical and surgical areas. Surgical robots can extend the capabilities of surgeons by reducing fine tremors and offering 3D visualization during endoscopic surgery. It is, however, restricted in the fields of plastic surgery.
How Robotic Surgery Come Into Existence
Initially, robotic surgical research supported by NASA allowed for remote operations in distant areas or areas where general surgical practitioners are scarce. However, some people found these remote applications impractical, and Sunnyvale, CA, situated Intuitive Surgical licensed the technology for on-site microsurgery. As a result, the company created the first surgical robot for heart surgery that is as minimally invasive as possible.
While plastic surgery with the help of robots is still in its early stages, its enormous potential, the possibilities for high-precision techniques are constantly expanding as proven technology improves as equipment becomes smaller. In addition, other innovations can change how dermatologists approach surgical cases, similar to augmented reality technology.
Can a Robot Perform Plastic Surgery?
According to a survey performed in the United States of America, more than a third of surgery will involve the use of robots within the next five years. That means the surgeon will monitor the entire surgery from a computer.
The expected growth of robotic plastic surgeons and the current system’s drawbacks have grabbed the attention of renowned companies like Google, Medtronic, and Johnson & Johnson. As for example:
- The advantages of adopting robotics in plastic surgery significantly than the disadvantages. Finally, the use of robotics in plastic surgery is most beneficial to cosmetic treatments. When someone requires surgical correction, it is frequently done to a fine degree, with the goal of leaving as little sign of the treatment as possible.
- The risk of infection is significantly reducido con cirugía robótica since the incisions are so small. Because there is less skin being operated on, there is less exposure to the outside world. The method is also naturally cleaner, reducing the risk of infection.
- The functional outcomes of robotic surgery are also better, and the surgeon is much more at ease, reducing the risk of complications.
- As a result, plastic surgeons can overcome prior limits and apply this innovative technique to a much broader range of applications. With robotic plastic surgery becoming more widely employed, the sky appears to be the limit.
- Many surgeons believe that the robotic-assisted surgery consumes much more time than a normal surgery.
- Others believe that they would like to see the robots with improved camera capabilities.
- It is also believed that for the time being, robots cannot replace a human surgeon and no matter what it will never be able to replace the skills of a board-certified plastic surgery.
- As with anything, there are certain disadvantages to employing robotics in plastic surgery. The first is that you will have to wait for the computer to be set up when you utilize it. There’s also the time it takes to make sure everything is working properly, as well as the necessity to repair any broken microneedles along the way.
Additionally, Experienced Robotic Prostate cancer surgery Near Me will certainly require additional training in order to efficiently operate the equipment.
When new technology is introduced, there aren’t enough qualified doctors with years of expertise to know how to use it, causing a learning curve. However, after a doctor has been trained in the use of the technology, the professionals begin to arrive.